Thursday, November 1, 2012




What The Hell Is Remoulade Sauce?

Remoulade Sauce is one of the stepchildren of sauce mayonnaise. Credit for the invention of mayonnaise has been taken by the Spainish (it was first used in the Spanish town of Mehon) and of course, the French (it comes from the old French word "moyeu" which means yolk of egg). The French certainly popularized mayonnaise and there is no question that they were the inventors of 'remoulade'. As with most foods with a history, remoulade has hundreds of variations, from classic French to Louisiana Creole. Everyone has their own version and they add or remove whatever they want and still call it 'Remoulade Sauce'.

I'm human so I have my version too. I have been using this recipe for so long that I have forgotten where I got the original. I think it came from Reed Perry at the Golden Pheasant in Bucks County, Pa., back in the early 1970's. I have played with it and made changes so it is truly mine now. (Yes, I know I did steal the original). Escoffier's 'The Complete Guide to The Art Of Modern Cookery' has the classic recipe which has gherkins, anchovy essence, tarragon and chervil. Mine doesn't have those items but it goes with just about any savory food I can think of. I've used it as a salad dressing, as a sauce for shrimp, crab, oysters, beef, chicken, pork, veal, as the binder for tuna salad, on a shrimp po' boy, as the sauce for fish (flounder to salmon), as a condiment to french fries (Yes, that sounds horrible to some of you but not to all of you and certainly not to me!), as a potato salad base, condiment on meatloaf sandwiches and as a vegetable dip. Remoulade goes with anything. Give it a try and if you come up with a use I haven't mentioned let me know so I can give it a try.

Remoulade Sauce

                3 - Cups Hellman’s Mayonnaise              ½ - Cup Grey Poupon Mustard
                3 - Ribs of Celery Chopped Fine              1 - Tsp. Tabasco sauce
                2 - Tbsp. Prepared Horseradish                2 - Tbsp. Fresh Lime Juice
               ½ - Cup Parsley Leaves Chopped Fine     4 - Green Onions Chopped Fine
                4 - Tbsp. Capers                                       2 - Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
                1 - Tbsp. Old Bay Seafood Seasoning      Salt and Pepper to taste


Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Chill and serve.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment